Also this village, like other neighbors, is to be presumed to have takenname from the patron saint of the newsstand sort of wooded hillsideridge of the mountain (m. 797) of the Monks. And perhaps this topographicalname which invites, even for the short distance (km. 2) which separates the S. Nazario from the church of S. Mauro, to assume that this mayit has been elevated by the founders of religious exiles from Mercurion cradle of the nilana congregation.
No document so far, however, shows the existence of a secure cenobium in that place and at that time, especially if you exclude that the name of the place can identify the homonymous monasteryof whom we read in the gift of the abbey of Cava of the Lord of Novi in 1104, confirmed by a successor in 1186. In which case it would fallalso another interesting hypothesis that wants to see precisely inS. Mauro the «near » monastery that hegumen of St. Nazario wanted entrust to St. Nile «after having consecrated to God with the profession.»
However, it is worth highlighting the decision of the hegumen inspired byfascination with the strong and mystical personality of the young novice and arousedand that would confer prestige and fame to the monastery and, at the same time, conditioned the local «tyrant», against which the new monk already had pronounced.
Any difficulties may result from the research of the Saint who gave his nameto the village. Almost certainly the holy abbot who still is venerated in the village that(feast is last Sunday of August), where is still a vivid memory ofhis last miracle (14 January 1889): appearing to some workersinvolved in the construction of the nearby railway tunnel of the «Spina» he saved them from certain death (landslide of more than 150 m.).
The first sure news of the village are dated to the eighteenth century, when we find S. Mauro already joined with Rodio as fiefdoms of Commenda of order of Malta dependent on the bailiwick of s. Eufemia, as also Volpi confirms. Not surprisingly, the patron saint of San Mauro is St. Euphemia and patron is St. Mauro.The oldest news retrieved on the dependence of the village fromSovereign Order of Malta, dating back to August 26, 1279, when the estate of S.Mauro and Rhodium was gave by Ugo de Salent,
Johannite and prior ofCapua, to John de Bono from Gaeta for an annual fee of one hundred gold ducats, concession confirmed on December 6 by Nicholas Ruggiero, Grand Master of the Order.In Cedolario of the fires is news of the charge: «Sanctus Maurus profocul. X, unc. III, tar VII and medium »from other documents of the Neapolitan Archives in the various attempts of the natives, under the reigns ofJoanna I, and Joanna II, Ladislao and Alfonso of Aragon, to be exempted of the annual collection amounting to 24 ounces of gold, without ever succeeding, despitethe valuable help of the bailiff of St. Euphemia.
Finally on 3 March 1464 the applicantcourse advanced by the bailiff Sergio Seripanno was greeted by King Ferrante, so S. Mauro and Rhodium were declared «Franchi et perpetuo exempti »from any fiscal solution.In its judgment of dr. Troise issued in Cuccaro on consistency ofthe assets of the Duke of Monteleone is said that to the Duke was given alonecriminal jurisdiction of S. Mauro.
In some documents is reported a marriage celebrated in 1518 between Ferrante of Leonessa, descendant ofthat William who in 1418 owned the land of St. Martin, and ArminiaCarrafa, daughter of James. This latter, on the occasion of marriage ofthe daughter promised her as dowry the hamlets of S. Severino of Camerota,S. Mauro and S. Martino.
Feuds and jurisdictions of which was then investedat the death of his father Ferrante (owned them maritali nomine) the sonArminio (a. 1533) In the Directories is news of the exchange occurredin 1570 between the Duke of Monteleone and his secretary G. Battista Farao S. Mauro with Abatemarco.
The Stalls of Celestine of Novi informs us of the sale that took placein 1353 by Notare Lotterio and Notare Nicholas of St.Mauro of a ground of that village 'ubi dicitur Murogentilio «, while thealtarpiece of St. Barbara was sold by a «magister Franciscus de Santo Mauro. »Antonini in confirming the membership of the S. Mauro La Bruca to the Order of Malta, as well he says: «Far from thisRiver [Melpi or Rubicante] on the straight two miles, and four from Pisciotta,on a hill, is found S. Mauro La Bruca, named in this wayunlike other, that there are of this same name. It belongs toRhodium with the Religion of Malta.
Its soils produce good wines, olive, chestnut and oak trees, and enjoys a view of the port of Palinuro, andall those plans, sweetest air in every season. »Giustiniani reports the village to voice Sammarco of Cuccaro,a site on a hill, where is good air «owned » by the family Piccirilli with the title of Marquis, at the end of '700, when the village counted 800 inhabitants «all agricultural workers.»
LONGITUDE: 15.290326199999981GO TO GOOGLE MAPS