To clarify the causes that led to the establishment of a feud in the valley of San Severino and the foundation of its castle, it is essential to remember an interesting page of history about Lombard people, next to the assassination of Prince Guaimario V.
After the Restoration, Gisulfo II of Salerno, to thank the Normans Umfredo and Guglielmo D'Altavilla who had resettled on the throne of Salerno, undertook to assign them other lands and castles. To the uncle Guido, the Prince gave the county of Conza and to the brothers other counties along the Tyrrhenian coast. So the brother had the county of Policastro. But when Umfredo and Guglielmo went back to Salerno to receive what had been promised, the prince began to prevaricate and the Normans, outraged, departed from salerno starting the occupation of the whole territory.
Gisulfo had made impatient also Roberto Il Guiscardo who, outraged by the behavior of the prince, took revenge by recognizing his brother's rule all the lands conquered in the valley of St. Severino.For questions of boundaries came on soon quarrels between Guido and Guimondo, until he decided to turn to arbitration of the Prince of capua. Going to capua, Guido was surprised in a gorge of the valley of St. Severino.Despite the resistance, Guido was killed. But Guimondo did not have the desired results from the assassination of Guido and the disputed goods were assigned to the younger brother of the Prince, Landulf who held the county until after the fall of Salerno and the fortress.
Originally on the top of the hill where are the ruins of the castle, had to be a Lombard tower. It is supposed that the quarrel between Guido and Guimondo arose for employment by the latter of the tower dominating the entire valley of the Mingardo river that to Guido rightly considered, together with the tower of Molpa, the cornerstone of his county.
About the castle and its strategic importance during the war Angevin-Aragonese, there are numerous news in the angevine registers.In 1269 the castle of Molpa, Camerota and San Severino, by order of King Charles I, were returned to the royal curia. Then the Castle of San Severino, with its eponymous house, passed to Pandolfo from Fasanellaand then back to the curia.
In 1286 the feud was assigned to Lambucio di Sableto. In October 1290 the Count d'Artois ordered to hand over the castle to Troisio, captain of the principality, with the obligation to ensure its safekeeping.
In December of the same year Carlo Martello and Count d' Artois ordered to Tommaso Sanseverino to give possession of the feud to Filippo della Porta by inheritance of his father who had been lord.
In 1291 Filippo asked the king's son consent to the sale of his feud of San Severino of Camerota to Tommaso of San Severino. The request was determined by the fact that the castle,located in a war zone, was exposed to continuous enemy raids and therefore needed a valid defense.
The November 17, 1414 Giovanna II ordered to the noble Corrado Curialis from St. Severino to enter Guglielmo into possession of the half of the hamlet of Laurito, sold to him by Masello.
In 1628 the Tancredi family sold St. Severino to Gerolamo Albertino which in February 12, 1530 was granted the title of Prince of San Severino, in exchange for the title of Prince of Leporano, granted to him in 1627.
LONGITUDE: 15.346050300000002GO TO GOOGLE MAPS