Ughelli remembers that in 1144 the monastery of San Lorenzo de Strictu already existed, holder of vast grounds with three inhabited nucleuses, and that is S. Clerico (then S. Chirico), Monte di Palma and S. Lorenzo de strictu risen exactly around the monastery.
De Stefano makes to go up again the foundation of the monastery to Guaimario of Capaccio. This is the date of his death, as confirms his testamentary dispositions. Fit witnesses affirmed with oath, from now on to judge Pietro, that the monk Guaimario, before dying, had manifested the wish to give his goods to monastery of Cava. Present and acquiescent to the fit the child of the giving one, Guaimario and the widow Sibilla, what added for soul the gift to that monastery of part of the goods that touched her. Other news on the inhabited area of Castel S. Lorenzo stand up again from other parchments from 1166 to 1196, over the 1191 Celestino III bead and that was engraved on a marble affixed on the side wall of the apse of the abbatial church, until it was not destroyed during the jobs of amplification of the church. The bead is addressed Pietro to the prior and to the monks of the monastery of San Lorenzo de stricta that follows and it will follow the rule of Benedict.
To the times of Fred II, among those people that were kept to the maintenance of the castle of capaccio there were also the dependent families from the abbey of San Lorenzo. Other news in the angevin documents, from which it notices that king Carlo granted to the abbot of S. Lorenzo de stricta the hamlet of San Lorenzo de stricta, whose civil power had perhaps been summoned by Fred II because the abbot followed the faction of the pope and from king Carlo returned. From a news of the Duke Della Guardia ( Pipino family) the De Stefano notices that in the 1299 king Carlo II gave halves to Giovanni Pipino Castel S. Lorenzo which a part of the village placed around the monastery was subject to this last and the other half to the local gentleman.
Of this is confirmation in the same division of the ownership, of which that in east, up to the confinements with the lands of Felitto, belonged to the feudal prince Carafa.De Stefano still says of three towers erected there by the « Pestani», of which one « is the choir of the church of S. Giovanni », the second was contained « inside the Baronial palace » and the last « is seen from under the square in the principle of the urban street said Del Fosso », of which is sign in a document of the 1166.
The angevin documents also inform that king Carlo gave Castel San Lorenzo to Henry Della Porta. « and hamlet Luluiti » (Lau - rite?), feud that Henry returned to the Revenue with the hamlet Lubrici (other toponimo of Luluriti?) exchanging them with the feud of Sanseverino, probably of Camerota (today's of Centola). Castel San Lorenzo was offered then to Ugo Lica that then permuted it (1270) for ounces XX with the parts of the castle of Casalverio in possession of the curia that had been of the rebel Giovanni Pagano and of his child.
The abbot of San Lorenzo, that had returned the civil jurisdiction of the village, kept on enjoying up to 1497 of it when he was deprived from there by king Federico to have lent the loyal homage to Charles VIII. The whole territory came so sold to prince of Stigliano, Antonio Carafa. Prince's title on the hamlet was granted to Gerolamo Carafa on September 14 th 1554, which also possessed the feud of Felitto, that of Castelnuovo and the criminal rights on Monteforte. He married Arrighetta Sanserrerino, from which Giannantonio, duke of Laurino, that had Geronimo from Victoria Gaetana, duke of Laurino in 1610, that married Victoria Pignatelli.
From Geronimo the feuds passed to the nephew Alvaro and from this to Luigi (11 July 1785). To the death of him the title passed then for succession to his child Pietro (1789), what, as Neapolitan patrician, was counted with the title of prince in the gold Book of the Nobility in Naples. Lacking direct heirs, the title passed then to his brother ( March 11 1800 - 11 July 1837), Luigi's father ( 12 August 1824), to whose death (16 January 1890) the only child Francis Paolo happened (12 febbraio 1900).
Festival of country Viccio from 27 to 29 julySee more
LONGITUDE: 15.231675099999961GO TO GOOGLE MAPS