The tradition wants the installation of the hamlet not to have had to overcome the extension of a «moggio ». Up to 1966 we didn't have that scarce news on the village but a fortunate country of excavations on the peak of the Civitella (m. 818) redelivered important traces of the past to the history. It was a group day students of the place to rediscover the first signs, already however individualized by some erudite of the '700.
The excavations, directed by M. Napoli, brought to the light:, boundaries constituted from big square blocks, fragments of tiles and vascular pottery, a bronze coin from velia with Zeus, another of Costantino, 14 so-called loom weights, the foundations of a great environment to square plant, a door with arch and boundaries of the IV century aC. (over 150 ms.).
The emerged elements certainly make to think about a center strengthened (frourion) with functions, together with those existing to Novi, of control of the pass of Cannalonga and the convergent valleys toward the sea of Velia. Of the Greek frourion, fortitude - shelter of enotri then widened, is not news anymore, however, after the arrival in the territory of the Romans, where now rises Vallo of the Lucania, they made a station. Nothing can tell it of sure, however, on the stay in the territory of the barony, of Roman legions, therefore the toponimis «castra », still living, could be also of Longobard or Norman age. Anyway Civitella was completely abandoned in Norman age because strategically held useless.
The inhabitants used the architectural rests for the construction of houses and for the chapel of the Annunciation, mentioned by Odoardi in his decree of visit in the church of S. Bartholomew, <
This last had alienated to favor of the kinsmen (« heres Riccardo Constantini » of Moio) a vast olive-grove with vineyard of ownership of the abbey. In a document of the Chamber of the Summary we read that among the hamlets « de ditta Università di Yoyo » is also « Moyo Troyano ». Is not known what rights boasted the principles of Sanseverino of Salerno on Moio and Massascusa, then summoned by the crown because of the rebellion of king Ferrante against Charles V.
The duke Monteleone granted Moio in «suffeudo » to Giovan Baptist Similia with the obligation of the annual gift of a harness bell rattle and a glove of chamois <
From Maria Teresa Similia the feud in 1705 passed to her daughter Eugenia that married Anthony Milano of Amalfi, a very esteemed penologist to the courts of Charles III and Ferdinando IV. In the 1747 D. Anthony went to Moio for eight days. His brother Giovanni entrusted to restore the baronial building and to build also a grinds.In the 1750 Moio it stopped by Joseph Pasca to Anthony Milano and in 1765 from Gennaro Milano to Saverio Pepe, whose family preserved the feud up to the abolition of the feudality (last baron the homonym nephew Saverio Pepe, 1806).
LONGITUDE: 15.269481199999973GO TO GOOGLE MAPS