First news of Oleastrum is in a document of 1059,with whom the prince Gisulfo II, with his mother Princess Gemmaand his wife Princess Maria, offered to the bishop of Paestum Amatolands «in finibus lucanie», went, in the division with theirbrothers Guido and Pandolfo, to the prince «Domno guaimarius »V, re-respectively father, husband and father in law of the aforementioned heirs. Indiploma, among boundaries of donated goods, is also mention of a «locumubi oleastrum dicitur », « locum» in the meaning of house, village,as, for example, to Agropoli («in loco ubi dicitur agropoli») in the Convention of 1100 which contains the diploma of 1059.
In the definition of the boundaries between the properties of the Abbey ofCava and Guglielmo Sanseverino of 1187, is also mentioned a«Locus dicitur oliastrum ». In the document of 1144, of whichit is said, among those present is also remembered «Goffo, milite de oleastri»a knight that had taken his name from the town. Ventimiglia wonders if the town Oliarola, Ogliarola «hascould be where it is now the so-called Marina Ogliastro. »In May 6, 1299, King Charles of Anjou, taking the petition of theBishop of Capaccio, exempted also the population of« Oleastri» from paying taxes for two years.
In this way theinhabitants, fugitives in the mountains for first war Angevin-Aragonesefought in the territory, had returned to their homes.As we have shown, Ogliastro was part of the «state» ofAgropoli, ecclesiastical fief of the bishops of Paestum; it is also newsin 1698.
With an instrument of Eredita, had joined in a single university for tax purposes. Of «Oliastri et Eredite pertinentiarum Agropoli» was already ample mention in a document of the Aragonese in 1445 with which the son of King Alfonso, Ferrante of Aragon, then Calabria, communicated to Giacomo Sarrocco, Commissioner forcollection of the correct for the coronation, that the mayors of Ogliastro and Eredita, appeared before the Chamber of Sommaria, have exhibited a regium privilegium that granted to the two villagessubtraction of two of three ounces that local inhabitants were requiredto pay for the collections.
And because the auditors had complained about theharassment received, the prince ordered to suspend a part ofcollection waiting within the stipulated period the mayors hadpresented the privilege and R. Room had ascertained the release.After several steps of the village, adjacent to Agropoli,Sanseverino Ogliastro broke away from the barony giving it to (1502) Galeazzo Spiccadore.
Following the sellino of goods of SanSeverino, the R. Court did not consider valid the concession (missingof Royal Assent), put on sale the feud with Eredita, obtained by Roberto Spiccadore, the son of the first purchaser. By Robertothe estate passed to his son Fabio (1574). The feud of Ogliastro, auctioned, was awarded (1580)to d. 3,500 to Maxentius Bonito, from which it passed (1582) to his son Thomas.
He sold the estate (1589) to Gian Luigi de Clario,which sold it in the same year to Caesar Altomare. From thisfamily, the feud then passed to de Conciliis for the marriage of Beatricewith Romano de Conciliis. Romano then passed to his son Antoniohad only one female, Delia, who brought the feud Gaetanode Stefano.
With the title of Marquis, Giuseppe de Stefano obtainedheader feudal, as stated in Cedolario, September 14, 1741.For succession it passed to Gaetano (d. October 15, 1779), from which Peterthat obtained the header in March 13, 1782.In his capacity as patrician Salerno Peter was ascribed to the Register of Squares closed, together with the son and successor Matteo.
From this and then Peter Joseph by Ministerial Decree, obtained recognition of the title of Marquis of Ogliastro and patrician of Salerno. From what has been entered in Guestbookand the List of holders and noble Neapolitans.Giustiniani placed the village on a hill 30 miles fromSalerno and at half past two from sea. It had airgood, with a thousand inhabitants all farmers dedicated to the cultivation ofvineyards and olive groves and industry to family farming of pigsfor the abundant acorns of its forests.
From the census is detected a progressive increase in Po-population to the plague of 1656, when died more than halfof the inhabitants.In Ogliastro was a convent belonging to the Order of Preachers, from which step to Minor. Suppressed, was open again in October 25, 1817.
LONGITUDE: 15.045601300000044GO TO GOOGLE MAPS